Family Emergency Plan
- Determine where you and your family will go (to a relative, a friend, an emergency shelter) in the event you have to evacuate or you think that you may not be safe at your own house.
- On a map, outline the quickest and safest route needed to get to your destination. Remember, low-lying areas may be unsafe for travel during a storm.
- Review your insurance policies and coverage.
- Take photos and/or video footage of your property. Store this information with your important papers. Make copies of the documents and photographs and leave them with someone you trust.
- Visually inspect your home and property. Make any repairs necessary: check the roof for loose sheeting/nails; clear the gutters and drains to ensure proper drainage; cut loose or overhanging branches; check the ground for debris or items such as furniture that could blow away.
- Purchase plywood, rope, extra nails and tarpaulins for protecting windows and doors.
- Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit.