The Agricultural Planning Unit within the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Transformation, Forestry and Fisheries has as its mission “to provide timely, reliable, accurate and accessible statistics on the agriculture sector and other support in the areas of policy formation, agri-business management, project preparation and management and marketing that meet the individual needs of all stakeholders within the sector”.
An effective, efficient and well-functioning Unit that provides the necessary support to meet the needs of all stakeholders, thereby contributing to a sustainable pattern of socio-economic growth within the agricultural sector.
The objectives of the Agricultural Planning Unit are as follows: -
- To assist the Ministry in the development of policies for the agricultural sector and to transform these policies into programmes and projects.
- To o-ordinate the development of the sector plan and the ministry’s diversification programme.
- To assist the identification, preparation, execution, monitoring and control of the Ministry’s capital and technical assistance projects.
- To provide technical assistance to the Ministry in project preparation, programme, planning and budgeting.
- To assist in market identification, and provide market information/intelligence to the farming community.
- To collect, compile, analyze, store and disseminate data/statistics on the agricultural sector.
- Farmers’ Organisations
- Departments and Ministries of Government
- Other Units/Divisions/Departments in the Ministry of Agriculture
- Other related local, Regional and International Organizations