What to do before a Flood
A flood can come at any time and they can be very destructive. Be ready! Preparation is half the battle.
- Always monitor weather conditions
- Keep areas around your home free from garbage and debris that may block drains. Work with neighbours to achieve this in the wider community area.
- Store chemicals, important documents and electrical devices on elevated surfaces away from expected water levels.
- Purchase water proof storage bags to protect important documents.
- In case an evacuation is necessary, prepare a plan that takes disabled persons, the elderly, children and pets into account:
- Determining flood free routes to and from your home.
- Finding out where the nearest evacuation shelter is located.
- Preparing a Disaster Survival Kit (link to survival kit section)
- Store additional materials like plastic sheeting, lumber, nails, rope, wire and sandbags to assist with the effects of flooding, or to aid with reinforcement of objects that may get swept away
- Find out if your home or business is located in a flood prone area.
- Make sure your insurance plan covers flooding.
- Ensure that everyone in the household knows how to turn off the utilities.