What to do after a Tsunami
- If possible, stay tuned to a radio, or television or log on to the SRC website to get the latest emergency information.
- Help injured or trapped persons.
- Keep out of stagnant water.
- Open windows and doors to help dry buildings.
- Shovel mud while it is still moist to give walls and floors an opportunity to dry.
- Stay out of damaged buildings. Return home only when authorities say it is safe.
- Check food supply and test drinking water.
- Fresh food that has come in contact with flood water may be contaminated and should be thrown out.
- Check for damage to sewer and water lines.
UNESCO IOC International Tsunami Information Center
University of West Indies Seismic Research Centre