What to Do Before a Hurricane
- Check your disaster supplies and replace or restock as needed.
- Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind (bicycles, lawn furniture).
- Close windows, doors and hurricane shutters.
- Trim any trees that touch power lines or hang over the house.
- Make and store extra food in a water-proof container.
- Assemble a simple first aid kit including bandages, iodine, etc.
- Turn the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and keep them closed as much as possible so that food will last longer if the power goes out.
- Talk with members of your household and create an evacuation plan. Planning and practicing your evacuation plan minimizes confusion and fear during the event.