NEMO Urges Vincentians To Be Ready For The Hurricane Season
Thursday 1st June marks the official start of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season. A total of eleven (11) named storms, four (4) hurricanes and two (2) major hurricanes are expected this season, according to the forecast prepared by the Colorado State University (CSU) Tropical Meteorology Project, headed by Dr. Phil Klotzbach.
The National Emergency Management Organisastion (NEMO) is urging all Vincentians to be ready for the hurricane season and also be reminded that it does not take a hurricane or storm to cause a disaster.
In preparation for the 2017 hurricane season, the National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) is Advising the general public to :
- Know where the nearest emergency shelters are located in their community.
- Make plans to protect persons with special needs.
- Stock up on emergency supplies.
- Trim all overhanging branches and trees.
- Ensure that all drains around the house are cleared of all debris to avoid flooding during heavy rainfall.
- Owners of businesses are encouraged to create a disaster plan for their business.
- Families are encouraged to create a family disaster plan and include all members of the family in this activity.